About Langkawi Island

by

langkawi-malaysiaThink great adventures and captivating scenery, think Langkawi! The enthralling Langkawi island or sometimes known as Legendary island as it is enshrouded with legends and myths is an archipelago of 104 islands overlooking the panoramic Andaman Seas and Straits of Malacca.

Do you know that the largest islands here are even bigger than Penang island? Well, that’s another matter. Other surrounding islands popular among tourists are Island of the Pregnant Maiden (Pulau Dayang Bunting), Beras Basah Island and Lion Island (Pulau Singa Besar).

This island derived its name from the abundance of eagles on the island. The reddish brown eagle statue poised for flight in Dataran Lang (Eagle Square) best represents Langkawi.

Of course the main tourists attractions on the island are idyllic white sandy beaches with swaying coconut trees and crystal clear blue water.

The curse of Mahsuri

Legend has it that Mahsuri once laid a curse on the island for seven generations because she was executed for infidelity and adultery (but yet she bled white blood during her execution to prove her innocence).

But it seems that her curse is over since the island is now a popular tourist destination in Malaysia with thousands of tourists every year.

Once a sleepy fishing town, the island is now a major shopping hub following government’s decision to declare it as a duty-free zone. Thus, you can easily recognize the differences and developments on the island as the beautiful countryside and panoramic landscape of paddy fields have turned into tourist attractions catered to sightseers.

Langkawi as a shopping haven

Langkawi island is a shopping haven for shopaholics as you can pretty much get everything from liquors to cigars, chocolates to fashion apparels and many more at tax-free lowest prices.

In terms of population, majority of the folks here are Malays (up to 90 percent) while the remaining 10 percent comprise Chinese, Indians and Thais.

The island has a population of around 65,000 people and most of the other islands of the archipelago are inhibited apart from Pulau Tuba. Besides well-known as a shopping haven, the Island has also been named World Geopark by Unesco in June 2007.

The three main conservation areas are Island of the Pregnant Maiden Lake, Kilim Karst Geoforest Park and Machincang Cambrian Geoforest Park.

To further boost tourism industry in the island, government has initiated The Northern Corridor Economic Region (NCER) development programme by upgrading and improving facilities on the island in an effort to push the island as a world-class tourist destination.